Change. It happens to all of us. This time of year always brings so much change.
- The change of the seasons from Spring to Summer.
- The sun is up so much longer.
- Our lives seem to get so busy with sports.
- Our children transition from one year of school, to home, and then eventually back to school again.
In our preschool room, we are beginning to talk about change as we are losing more than half of our class to Kindergarten this year! We are discussing the changes of routines for our old children and then the new routines for our new children. A quote our children say frequently during this time of year is, “our new friend is learning!”
I often times hear from families what can I do to support my child as they prepare this transition from their current school to their new school. Some ideas can include:
- Reading books about Kindergarten
- The Night Before Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Rocks
- Kindergarten, Here I come!
- The Kissing Hand
- Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
- Welcome to Kindergarten
- Visiting the new school (if possible–inside and outside)
- creating a picture book of new and old to support the child
- have discussions with your child about the new routine
- each night as your child comes home discuss things that went well or didn’t go well
- how can you change the didn’t go well
What great ideas do you use at your home? How do you help support your child with these changes?